xxjurassxx asked: Why the Server is for minecraft 1.3.2 if we are now in 1.6.4?
I don’t know what you’re talking about. The server is running 1.7.4.
Happy 4th Birthday PokéCraft!
Long time no see! We’ve been busy doing various things, but we’ve not forgotten about the project at all!
With the start of 2014, that brings us to our 4 year Birthday! This time back in the start of 2010, we had just finished Kanto and started our work on Hoenn. Way back then, our original goal was to have Sinnoh and Johto done before 2011.
That sure didn’t work out.
We are still working, and we are still hoping for some sort of release Soon. 1.7 adds some changes we need to make the map more fully compatible with vanilla games.
Speaking of 1.7
The server will be updated to 1.7.x sometime on January 2 or 3. There may be some downtime related to this while we ensure the update didn’t break anything.
We are happy to announce we will finally be starting construction of Johto in February! This also means we’ll probably be opening up tryouts for (limited) builder positions on our staff. You’d probably start out doing “grunt” work and move up from there. However, more will be coming soon about that. Keep an eye out for a post about it.
A few things.
First off, we’re not dead. Well, not yet anyways. We still have our sever, and you can now find it at bidoofia.com!
We were also wondering, What would you like to do/see on the server? Let us know.
Anonymous asked: When making the regions, do you use the actual game to build it step for block, or is it just completely custom?
What we start with is a complete reference of the map. Like the ones found on vgmaps.com. When than scale that and paste a version of it in Minecraft itself to be a guideline for where to put blocks. With that reference of the full in game map on hand and in the game, we can start building.
Than it is just trying to build in Minecraft what is as close to what we can see on the map. It can be quite difficult with the level of detail and the low amount of available blocks within Minecraft. But we manage. And get something close to 1:1. I say close because it’s really difficult and there is a sense of tearing that happens.
On another note, the trees are a 3x3 while in game they are only 2x2. These things do make it a bit difficult. However we manage!
After a couple days of downtime. Our server is now back up! The address should remain the same.
However, the DynMap is now located at http://bidoofia.no-ip.org:25566
tokuokatime asked: You know, Minecraft 1.7 will allow for usage of a new Dirt block that doesn't grow grass. (It has a damage value of 1 and can only be given through /give.) If you're patient enough to wait for 1.7's full release, would it be possible for you to use this new grassproof dirt block to remodel the map, even with all the work it might be harbinger to?
That is definitely good news.
Considering we use both outside tools and mods like WorldEdit, it will be a quick and easy option to replace one block with another.
We should really update this blog more, huh? Though, to be honest, we should really be doing more with out damn server!
Simply put though, we can no longer afford to run the server on a dedicated host. Of the two people who were funding it, I (CDRom) lost my job, and bidoof_king’s got higher bills to pay with the same job.
Now, this means several things, and does not mean several others, so I’ll go over them in a random order.
- It does not mean that the project is dead. We’ve got a server running on BK’s home Internet, but it’s certainly no datacentre, with a 3mbps upload speed and a location not exactly convenient for global connections.
- Whether we’ll open this server to the public is up to our discretion (especially since the machine currently runs Big Dig.
- We just can’t afford $40/month for a proper server. We run this as a hobby in our spare time, and while donations are always welcome (paypal email@example.com!)
- We’re still working out how we’re going to distribute the world. As we’ve said before, until Mojang allows us to turn off grass growth, it can only be distributed with mods to turn it off externally (we use the fantastic WorldGuard for Bukkit).
- This is to say nothing of the future of the project, which is somewhat in turmoil. While, thanks to a filter provided by the fantastic SethBling, we’re able to move our maps around and retain our command-block-interiors, it’s still very much up for debate what we’re DOING with future maps
- Anything we’re doing we’ll keep you up to date here. Yes, we’ve not posted anything here in weeks. The first sentence is still completely accurate.
So thanks for all the good times we’ve had on bidoofia.no-ip.org, and hopefully you’ll be able to join us soon!
(Incidentally, if anyone in North Yorkshire DOES want to give me a job, we could afford dedicated hosting. Just saying!)
Our server is now running 1.6.2!
Not dead, just busy!
First off, huge apologies for just missing the deadline and disappearing without any comments. We owe you all at least an explanation, but we really did drop the ball this time.
Basically, it was something of a perfect storm. Three of us moved house in the space of a few weeks, there were jobs being gained and lost, holidays, drama, all sorts, which just put the project on the back burner. And by the time we’d worked through everything, it’s probably a bit late to be issuing 1.5 maps.
We may still release a 1.5 version, but there’s no set date. We still don’t quite know HOW we’re going to distribute it, for one.
As ever, the server remains up (though I think it’s still on 1.5) at
We’ll keep you posted with updates. Hopefully.